Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kwaidan

I found it interesting that I could honestly be spooked by a simple story. The traditional Japanese Horror story , in my opinion, starts of very boring but the will pick up at the climax and then immediately ends. It was a weird layout for me but a quick and easy read. Part way through the stories I found myself asking where this was going and what was the point. I think that's an important part of Japanese horror stories, you never really know what is going to happen or when it's going to happen. The stories are different from traditional American horror stories because they are there for the shock value. Kwaidan is about putting you in an environment and making you feel as though you are truly there. The suspense slowly builds and then scares the crap out of you. The amount of detail in such short stories really amazed me. I think knowing background information about characters deffiently helps put you in the mood for the fear. I really enjoyed the stories and I'm goign to try to find more to read. I think this really opened my mind to the J-Horror genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment